The Commissioner of the Revenue is a constitutional officer elected for a four-year term by general election. The Commissioner is the chief assessing officer for those taxes prescribed by state law and local ordinance.
The mission of the Commissioner’s Office is to fairly, uniformly and impartially uphold the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the County of Richmond. Our primary goal is to serve the citizens of Richmond County in a fair and unbiased manner, by providing the highest level of customer service, integrity and fiscal responsibility.
The Commissioner of the Revenue and staff:
- Assess individual and business personal property
- Maintain real estate owner information and county tax maps
- Accept and review applications for the Land Use Program
- Oversee the real estate tax exemption for disabled Veterans
- Process and submit State Income tax returns to the Virginia Department of Taxation